I wanted to find a way to make a nourishing, succulent, moisturizing hand lotion or cream at home, mostly as a holiday gift but also for myself. I found lots of ideas, and finally settled on this version. I did the original from Rawmazing with the shea butter, and it indeed felt absolutely silky and rich, but I think the stuff I got was heading into rancid and the resulting butter wasn’t as delicious-smelling as I’d hoped. So I changed it up a bit, and am now using this formula.
I was fixing another batch tonight and thought I should share it with you all… it’s SO easy and it feels SO good! I bring a little Tupperware container of it with me to use after I do my deep water therapy (followed by the jacuzzi, the wet and dry saunas, and a long hot shower)… after all that water, my skin is really stripped and needs a little pampering. This stuff does the trick, and smells so delicious!
Almond Joy Body Butter
(based on a recipe from Rawmazing)
Makes 2 1/2 to 3 cups whipped butter.
- 1 cup cocoa butter (I got mine from Amazon)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (Costco or Amazon)
- 1/2 cup almond oil
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- Melt cocoa butter and coconut oil together on low heat or in a double boiler. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Stir in almond oil and vanilla.
- Place oil mixture in freezer until oils partially solidify (about 20 or 30 minutes).
- Whip with the whisk attachment on your kitchen mixer until you get a creamy butter-like consistency.
- Store in clean jar and enjoy!
Feel free to swap other oils, but remember to keep the ratio 75% solid to 25% liquid.